Thursday, March 16, 2017

Name & Shame Me, If I'm Part Of Galamseyers – Ofoso Ampofo Dares

NDC National Vice Chairman, Samuel Ofoso Ampofo has expressed worry over the activities of illegal miners in the country and called on appropriate authorities to address the menace.

Mr. Ofoso Ampofo was alarmed by the rate at which galamsey operations have destroyed the country’s water bodies as well as forest covers.

He disclosed that, as a result of such activities, Ghana’s forest cover which stood at 16.5 million acres has been drastically reduced to less than 1.6 million acres, and poses a danger to the nation.

If our water bodies have become so threatened that we cannot even guarantee ourselves pure water to drink, then how can we predict the future? So, a stitch in time saves nine. Even though the ones which have been destroyed are already ruined, let’s protect the rest.”

Speaking on Peace FM’s Kokrokoo, Mr. Ofoso Ampofo charged the authorities to name and shame illegal miners to serve as a deterrent to others who engage in the “galamsey” business.

The best we can do to tackle this issue is to be dispassionate in our discussion and to depoliticize it…If we want to attack the issue, we should do it in such a way that we will put Ghana first. That’s why I say I will support naming and shaming. Even if I, sitting here, I am part of it, name me and shame…If I’m part of it, name and shame me.”
 
 
 
Source: Ameyaw Adu Gyamfi/Peacefmonline.com/Ghana

2 comments: