Thursday, January 26, 2012

Employment creation is my aim- Moses Asaga

Minister-designate for Employment and Social Welfare, Moses Asaga, says he aims at creating employment opportunities for the people of Ghana. He says when vetted in as the Minister for Employment and Social Welfare, his focus would be to resolve the unemployment problems stagnating the nation.

He explained that the unemployment rate is overwhelmingly festering not only in Ghana but globally and with his expertise, he hopes to stifle the upsurge of the situation.

He said his appointment will bring relief to Ghanaians as he adopts a new approach to curb the unemployment menace collapsing the economy.

“I think these problems are global. We know that unemployment is a big issue in the US, unemployment is a very big issue in Western Europe and it is the same unemployment in North Africa that created the Arab spring. So, it means that unemployment and employment are very challenging issues and then, I will try to see how we can grow the economy.”

He stated that his experiences with the Trade and Finance Ministries would up his work at the Ministry and continued that he will negotiate with the various agencies in the country to devise proper means to end this menace, both in the private and public sectors.

Hon. Asaga was the chairman of the Parliamentary Select Committee on Mines and Energy, Oil and Gas since the inception of the ruling party in 2009 and doubles as a Member of Parliament for Nabdam.

In 2009, he became the Minister-designate for Works and Housing but couldn’t get the nod to head the Ministry.

Though admitting that his ministerial appointment is a huge duty on him, Hon. Moses Asaga is however not worried saying he will “keep faith and continue to work very hard” as the Head of the Ministry.

He believes his dream has materialized after the termination of his appointment as Works and Housing Minister-designate in 2009.

He thanked President John Mills for his ministerial position adding that “the President has recognized my hardworking and then also he has reposed confidence in me after the shaky start in 2009 February when I was made Minister for Works and Housing-designate.”

“I think that I always expected it because I know hard work would always bring people into the government and I know that the President always respected me. So, he just needed to give me time to have some space around me and at the right opportunity he will bring me back.”

Story by Ameyaw Adu Gyamfi/ Xfm 95.1/ Accra/ Ghana

No comments:

Post a Comment