Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I was duty bound to attend to the call of the state – Former President Kufour tells NPP

Former President, John Agyekum Kufuor is optimistic the New Patriotic Party (NPP) will win its petition at the Supreme Court.

He prayed the Supreme Court to act objectively to ensure that a fair verdict is given.

“From what I have seen of the pleadings, I am telling you it’s a very solid petition the party put together and submitted to the court. My prayer is that the Supreme Court will do its work very honestly and properly for the sake of peace and stability in our country.”, President Kufour urged.

Prior to the swearing-in ceremony of President John Dramani Mahama on Monday, January 7, some NPP supporters besieged the residence of President Kufour in an attempt to thwart his attendance to the function.

The supporters were of the view that President Kufour’s decision to attend the ceremony is in contradiction with the party’s orders and therefore amounts to betrayal on his part.

But  President Kufour says the National Executives of the NPP were not oblivious of his decision since he earlier informed the party in a National Council meeting about his reasons.

He said: “I took pain to explain my position at the meeting and in fact I believe I went away from the meeting with the national council and national executive committee meeting together not raising any objection to my position that I should attend. I believe Nana Akomea later had the occasion to state this on air.”

Despite criticisms from some NPP stalwarts and supporters, former President Kufour attended the inaugural ceremony of President John Dramani Mahama, on the premises that he was invited in the capacity of erstwhile President of the Republic.

He explained that his presence at the function was in the national interest of Ghanaians and so, he wouldn’t in anyway flout his party’s orders if he had not been invited as a former President to the inauguration.

He reiterated his support for the party’s petition at the Supreme Court, saying that “I don’t think there is anyone in Ghana that has complained against the conduct and ruling or declaration of the Electoral Commission more than I, but when you have been made the head it will be a sad occasion if you allow your tail to wag you as head. It is not just one man following his feelings and turning his back on party that is not it.”

“If you have followed the process of the recent elections you will know what I said of the electoral commission. I have been fully supported my party going to court.”

To him, attending the inaugural ceremony “was duty bound to attend to the call of state in-spite of the fact that my heart was deeply sad with the feeling of my party of not having been treated well.”

From: Adu Gyamfi Ameyaw

No comments:

Post a Comment